TED学院 | 17岁的年纪长着71岁的脸,早衰男孩快乐人生的哲学(音频-视频-文稿)

发布时间:2024-11-21 21:10

Khan Academy Kids适合3-17岁孩子的学习启蒙 #生活技巧# #学习技巧# #在线学习资源推荐#

英语专业八级考试(TEM-8)的选材主要来自英美报刊杂志、广播电台或网站。其中一个包括:TED演讲,2018和2016年专八听力讲座(Mini-lecture)就来自TED演讲。建议大家平时多看多听TED演讲。

珍品收藏 | 2018年TED演讲视频合集

演讲者:Sam Berns

演讲题目:My philosophy for a happy life

中英文对照翻译

Hello everyone. I'm Sam, and I just turned 17.

大家好。我是山姆,才满17岁。

A few years ago, before my freshman year in High School,

几年前,高一之前,

I wanted to play snare drum in the Foxboro High School Marching Band,

我想要在校军乐队(Foxboro福克斯波罗高中)里打军鼓,

and it was a dream that I just had to accomplish.

我十分想要实现这个梦想。

But each snare drum and harness weighed about 40 pounds each,

不过问题是每个军鼓套件重量大约40磅左右(18公斤),

and I have a disease called Progeria.

我患有一种叫做Progeria(早年衰老症)的病。

So just to give you an idea, I weigh only about 50 pounds.

以至于我本身才只有50磅(23公斤)左右。

So, logistically, I really couldn't carry a regular sized snare drum,

所以,理论上,我根本没有办法身挂普通尺寸的军鼓,

and because of this the band director assigned me to play pit percussion

因此乐队主管只能派我

during the halftime show. Now pit percussion was fun.

在中场表演时演奏后排打击乐器。当时的后排打击乐器很有趣。

It involved some really cool auxiliary percussion instruments,

囊括了许多非常酷的节奏打击乐器,

like the bongos, timpani, and timbales, and cowbell.

像邦哥小对鼓,定音鼓,蒂姆巴尔鼓以及牛铃。

So it was fun, but it involved no marching, and I was just so devastated.

虽然这些是很有趣,但我还是沮丧极了,因为这些跟军乐都全然无关。

However, nothing was going to stop me from playing snare drum

但是我坚信没有任何事能阻挡我在中场表演时

with the marching band in the halftime show.

在军乐队里打军鼓。

So my family and I worked with an engineer to design a snare drum harness

所以一位工程师应我与我家人之邀为我量身设计了一个特制的军鼓背带,

that would be lighter, and easier for me to carry.

它很轻以至我能方便的穿上它。

So after continuous work, we made a snare drum apparatus

经过不懈努力,我们做出了一个仅有6磅(2.7公斤)左右的

that weighs only about 6 pounds. (Applause)

军鼓套装装置。

I just want to give you some more information about Progeria.

我想让大家更深入了解一下早衰症的情况。

It affects only about 350 kids today, worldwide.

现在世界上仅只有350例。

So it's pretty rare, and the effects of Progeria include:

是一种极为罕见的疾病,它的症状体现在:

tight skin, lack of weight gain, stunted growth, and heart disease.

紧肤、体重缺增、成长萎缩以及心脏病。

Last year my Mom and her team of scientists published

去年我母亲以及她的科学家团队成功发表了

the first successful Progeria Treatment Study,

第一个早衰症治疗范本,

and because of this I was interviewed on NPR,

因此我应邀接受 NPR(美国国家广播)的采访,

and John Hamilton asked me the question:

主持人约翰汉密尔顿问我,

"What is the most important thing that people should know about you?"

“你觉得哪件事是你最想让别人了解的?”

And my answer was simply that I have a very happy life.

我的回答很简单,我的生活很快乐。

So even though there are many obstacles in my life,

虽然我在生活中遇到很多阻碍,

with a lot of them being created by Progeria,

绝大多数都归咎于早衰症,

I don't want people to feel bad for me.

我不想人们因此为我感到难受。

I don't think about these obstacles all the time,

我从不在乎这些障碍,

and I'm able to overcome most of them anyway.

无论如何我都能尽力克服它们。

So I’m here today, to share with you my philosophy for a happy life.

因此我今天才能坐在这和大家分享我快乐的人生哲学。

So, for me, there are 3 aspects to this philosophy.

所以对我而言这种理念有三个方面。

So this is a quote from the famous Ferris Bueller.

这一点引自著名的弗瑞斯布依勒(1986年电影《咪走堂》主角)。

The first aspect to my philosophy is that

第一点我的人生哲学理念是,

I’m okay with what I ultimately can’t do because there is so much I can do.

命里无时莫强求,因为我可以做的仍有很多很多。

Now people sometimes ask me questions like, "Isn’t it hard living with Progeria?"

人们有时会问我“伴随着早衰症的生活是不是很艰难?”

or "What daily challenges of Progeria do you face?"

又或 "患有早衰症的你每日都会面临什么样的挑战?"

And I’d like to say that, even though I have Progeria,

我想说,即使我有早衰症,

most of my time is spent thinking about things that

我大部分的时间都花在考虑一些

have nothing to do with Progeria at all.

跟早衰症无关的事情上。

Now this doesn’t mean that I ignore the negative aspects of these obstacles.

但是这并不意味着我完全忽略了这些障碍的消极因素。

When I can’t do something like run a long distance,

当我无法做某事时,例如长距离跑步或玩激烈的过山车,

or go on an intense roller coaster, I know what I’m missing out on.

我当然知道我会错过什么。

But instead, I choose to focus on the activities that I can do through things that

但取而代之的,我选择侧重那些

I’m passionate about, like scouting, or music, or comic books,

对我来说充满热情的活动,例如童子军,音乐或漫画书,

or any of my favorite Boston sports teams. Yeah, so -- (Laughter)

又或任何关于我最爱的波士顿体育队的活动。是的,所以—— (笑声)

However, sometimes I need to find a different way to do something

不过有时我会通过一定的调整寻找一些不同于常人的方式去做某些事,

by making adjustments, and I want to put those things in the "can do" category.

最终把这些东西归类于个人"能做"的范畴里。

Kind of like you saw with the drum earlier.

正如方才各位所见的军鼓一事。

So here’s a clip with me playing Spider-Man

因此,这里有个视频片段,关于几年前我和我们Foxboro高中军乐队

with the Foxboro High School Marching Band at halftime a couple of years ago.

在一次中场演奏的《蜘蛛侠》的一个片段。

Thank you. All right, all right, so -- That was pretty cool,

谢谢。好吧,好吧,所以——很酷是吧,

and so I was able to accomplish my dream of playing snare drum

这样我就已然能够完成想在军乐队里

with the marching band, as I believe I can do for all of my dreams.

演奏小军鼓的这一梦想,因为我相信我可以达成我所有的梦想。

So hopefully, you can accomplish your dreams as well, with this outlook.

所以同样希望你也用这种理念,以实现你自己的梦想。

The next aspect to my philosophy is that

下一个观点是:我始终跟那些

I surround myself with people I want to be with, people of high quality.

与我志同道合的人在一起,那些品质高尚的人们。

I’m extremely lucky to have an amazing family,

我非常幸运的拥有一个不可思议的家庭,

who have always supported me throughout my entire life.

他们始终支持着我,并一直陪伴着我。

And I’m also really fortunate to have a really close group of friends at school.

在学校里我也相当幸运的拥有一群非常铁朋友们。

Now we’re kind of goofy, a lot of us are band geeks,

我们同样都傻傻的痴迷于乐队,

but we really enjoy each other’s company,

但我们真正欣赏

and we help each other out when we need to.

和享受彼此的照顾和陪伴。

We see each other for who we are on the inside.

当需要彼此帮助时我们也心有灵犀。

So this is us goofing off a little bit. So we’re juniors in High School now,

我们在一起共同进退,现在我们高二,

and we can now mentor younger band members, as a single collective unit.

因此我们可以作为一个这个集体的一员继续指导年轻的乐队成员。

What I love about being in a group like the band,

我热衷于在一个像乐队一样的集体里。

is that the music that we make together, is true, is genuine,

因为我们可以在一起制作音乐,这种音乐是真实的,是真诚的,

and it supersedes Progeria.

它让我忽视了我的早衰症。

So I don’t have to worry about that when I’m feeling so good about making music.

当我享受制作音乐时,我可以不用去担心我的疾病。

But even having made a documentary, going on TV a couple of times,

我甚至因为参与制作了一部纪录片,而在电视上露过几次面,

I feel like I’m at my highest point

我感觉最棒的时候

when I’m with the people that surround me every day.

就是和周围的人在一起的时候。

They provide the real positive influences in my life,

他们给我的生活提供了真正的积极的影响,

as I hope I can provide a positive influence in theirs as well. (Applause)

当然同时我也希望同样能给他们的生活提供正能量。

Thank you. So the bottom line here, is that I hope you appreciate

谢谢,所以重点是

and love your family, love your friends, for you guys,

我希望大家感激和爱你的家人,爱你的朋友们和兄弟们,

love you Bro’s and acknowledge your mentors, and your community,

并答谢你的导师和你所在的社区,

because they are a very real aspect of everyday life,

因为他们是你日常生活中一个非常真实的存在,

they can make a truly significant, positive impact.

他们可以在提供正能量方面作出真正重大的贡献。

The third aspect to the philosophy is, Keep moving forward.

接着说第三个方面: “我们要始终向前看,开启新的门,致力新的事”。

Here’s a quote by a man you may know, named Walt Disney,

你可能知道这是引用自沃尔特迪斯尼的,

and it’s one of my favorite quotes.

它也是我最喜欢的引用之一。

I always try to have something to look forward to.

我总是尽量朝前看,寻找目标并努力。

Something to strive for to make my life richer.

使我的生活更丰富多彩。

It doesn’t have to be big. It could be anything from looking forward

它不需要很大。它可以是任何事,

to the next comic book to come out, or going on a large family vacation,

比如期待下一次漫画书的出版,或是去参加大型的家庭度假,

or hanging out with my friends, to going to the next High School football game.

又或是跟我的朋友们在一起去参加下一个高中足球比赛。

However, all of these things keep me focused,

然而所有这些都促使我知道

and know that there’s a bright future ahead,

光明的未来在等待着我,

and may get me through some difficult times that I may be having.

并给我勇气从而度过人生的艰难时刻。

Now this mentality includes staying in a forward thinking state of mind.

这种精神包括保持一种前瞻性的思维状态。

I try hard not to waste energy feeling badly for myself, because when I do,

我尽力让自己不去浪费能量为自己感到难过,因为当我这么做时,

I get stuck in a paradox,

我会陷入一个悖论,

where there’s no room for any happiness or any other emotion.

并且除了悲伤这不会给我带来任何幸福或其他情感。

Now, it’s not that I ignore when I’m feeling badly, I kind of accept it,

并不是说我完全忽略这种悲伤的感受,我只是坦然的接受了它,

I let it in, so that I can acknowledge it,

我接纳它并承认这个事实,

and do what I need to do to move past it.

同时做我需要去做的事情,并跨越这道屏障。

When I was younger, I wanted to be an engineer.

当我少年时我想成为一名工程师。

I wanted to be an inventor, who would catapult the world into a better future.

我想成为一名发明家,一个可以让未来的世界,变的更美好的发明家。

Maybe this came from my love of Legos, and the freedom of expression that

也许这促使我热衷于乐高玩具,当我搭建它们时,

I felt when I was building with them.

我能自由的表达我的感受。

And this was also derived from my family and my mentors,

这理想也是源于我的家人和我的导师,

who always make me feel whole, and good about myself.

他们让我的人生变得更完整了,让我对自己感觉变得更好。

Now today my ambitions have changed a little bit,

但是如今我的雄心有些改变,

I’d like to go into the field of Biology, maybe cell biology,

我想步入生物领域,也许关于细胞生物学

or genetics, or biochemistry, or really anything.

或遗传学,或生物化学或其他方面。

This is a friend of mine, who I look up to, Francis Collins,

这个我正望着的是我的一个朋友,弗朗西斯·柯林斯,

the director of the NIH, and this is us at TEDMED last year, chatting away.

美国国家卫生研究院主任,这是我们在去年TEDMED聊天的场景。

I feel that no matter what I choose to become,

我觉得无论我选择要成为什么,

I believe that I can change the world. And as I’m striving to change the world,

我坚信我可以改变世界。而且正因我努力地改变世界,

I will be happy.

我将会感到幸福和开心。

About four years ago, HBO began to film a documentary

大约在四年前,HBO开始拍摄一部叫做《山姆的生活》的纪录片,

about my family and me called “Life According to Sam”.

是关于我的家人和我的。

That was a pretty great experience, but it was also four years ago.

那是一个非常棒的经历,但那也只是四年前。

And like anyone, my views on many things have changed,

正如任何人一样,我对很多事物的看法已经改变了,

and hopefully matured, like my potential career choice.

希望由此变成熟,像我潜在的职业选择一样。

However, some things have stayed the same throughout that time.

然而,有些事情是自始至终没有改变的。

Like my mentality, and philosophy towards life.

比如我的心态和对人生的哲学。

So I would like to show you a clip of my younger self from the film,

所以我想给你们看一段我年少时的视频,

that I feel embodies that philosophy. I know more about it genetically.

这段视频能更具体阐述我的人生哲学。我知道它更多是关于基因方面的事情。

So it’s less of an embodiment now.

所以这是它微观的体现。

It used to be like this thing that prevents me from doing all this stuff,

它一般像这样,而正是这个东西剥夺了我做很多事的能力,

that causes other kids to die, that causes everybody to be stressed,

也是这个东西导致其他孩子死去,是它让每个人都感到压力,

and now it’s a protein that is abnormal, that weakens the structure of cells.

它是一种不正常的蛋白质,这种蛋白质削弱了正常的细胞结构。

So, and it takes a burden off of me because now

但是,它却也减轻了我的负担,因为现在

I don’t have to think about Progeria as an entity. Okay, pretty good, huh?

我已经不用去多虑早衰症,因为它已经成为现实了。好吧,还不错吧?

Thank you.

谢谢。

So, as you can see I’ve been thinking this way for many years.

所以,正如你所见我已经寻觅这种乐观的思维方式很多年了。

But I’d never really had to apply all of these aspects

但是我之前从没真正将此付诸实践,

of my philosophy to the test at one time, until last January.

直到去年一月。

I was pretty sick, I had a chest cold, and I was in the hospital for a few days,

我真的病了,我得了支气管炎在医院住了几天,

and I was secluded from all of the aspects of my life that I felt made me, me,

我被与身边的一切隔绝开,那些是我的生活,

that kind of gave me my identity.

那些是我的全部。

But knowing that I was going to get better,

但是得知我将转好,

and looking forward to a time that I would feel good again,

并期待着病愈的时候,

helped me to keep moving forward. And sometimes I had to be brave,

这种状态鼓励着我继续前进。有时我必须勇敢,

and it wasn’t always easy. Sometimes I faltered, I had bad days,

而这并不总是那么容易。有时我踌躇,我也会有糟糕的时候,

but I realized that being brave isn’t supposed to be easy.

不过我明白,变得勇敢本来就不是一件容易的事儿。

And for me, I feel it’s the key way to keep moving forward.

而对我来说,我觉得勇敢是继续前进的关键。

So, all in all, I don’t waste energy feeling bad for myself.

所以,总而言之,我不想浪费精力在悲伤中。

I surround myself with people that I want to be with,

我和我希望在一起的人们在一起,

and I keep moving forward. So with this philosophy, I hope that all of you,

这样我才始终继续前进。我希望大家利用这种乐观的态度

regardless of your obstacles, can have a very happy life as well.

面对你们的阻碍,这样你们就能和我一样有一个愉快的人生。

Oh, wait, hang on a second, one more piece of advice –-

哦,等等,另外还有一条建议——

Never miss a party if you can help it.

不要错过任何一个你能参与派对。

My school’s homecoming dance is tomorrow night, and I will be there.

我学校明晚将组织同学舞会,我一定会去的。

Thank you very much.

非常感谢。

声明:除特别注明原创授权转载文章外,其他文章均为转载,版权归原作者或平台所有。如有侵权,请后台联系,告知删除,谢谢

责任编辑:

网址:TED学院 | 17岁的年纪长着71岁的脸,早衰男孩快乐人生的哲学(音频-视频-文稿) https://www.yuejiaxmz.com/news/view/180037

相关内容

【TED】我快乐人生的哲学
14岁男孩电梯内猥亵7岁女孩被行拘:青春期教育忽视的恶果已出现
[视频]我国娱乐、休闲、购物的三十年变迁
11岁男孩骑行被撞身亡:骑行热背后的危险隐患
人生快乐的真谛哲理故事(共6篇)
从25岁到50岁!这份最全《抗衰老指南》,每个女生都要看
哲学的“日常生活”
娱乐视频
快乐哲学
快乐学哲学的书评 (19)

随便看看